Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Breaking News - Virginia Earthquake Felt Accross the Eastern Shore - Reported 5.8 - 6.0

Apparently this hit Virginia somewhere, but my office on the 3rd floor of the building here in Towson, MD. 21286 was shaking back and forth.  A friend on Facebook confirmed that family in NC had felt it.  The entire Towson area was out on the streets trying to call loved ones.   Co-Workers said that window shades were flapping against the windows and shaking back and forth.  I was just pulling into the lot when everyone coming barrelling out of the building.  I didn't feel a thing because I was in my van coming back from lunch.

My original thought was could this have been a bomb?  What the heck just happened.  We're close to Washington, D.C. and I was checking out the sky to see if there was any smoke.  Facebook was the first source of information I received and was the first way I could communicate as well.  I heard rumblings once of FB being a source for a National Emergency Plan....I would have to concur!!!

My wife said the floor in our house in Harford, MD was shaking and pictures were slapping against the wall.  The kids went running out of the house.  After seeing Japan I know my young boys who are 8 and 6 were extremely worried that they would see similar things happening.

CNN reported that the NY stock exchange was reporting the quake and that trader's were yelling "keep trading, keep trading!".  Unreal.  If I were in NY I'd be worried about those skyscrapers tumbling down.  It's reported that 11 million people felt this quake and that there is a 35% chance that this quake will cost over 10 million dollars in damages.

The cell phones were shut down and no signal was available. I'm actually still a little shaken up because it just happened about 10 minutes ago. Approximately 2:01PM

I'm glad everyone is OK so far. Wondering if someone should check out the building I'm in for any structural damages. 


Crazy stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment